If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 22 June 2013

Fete de la Musique

Yesterday was Fete de la Musique.  I love this day.  [If this is the first you've heard of it, every year on June 21, musicians perform all over the world for free.  The idea is to bring music to the masses, celebrating the diversity of local music, and giving musicians a chance to show their abilities and enthusiasm].  For the last couple of years, I've been involved both as a venue (I was the one who asked at a cathedral council meeting if the cathedral was involved, so I got to be the organising person), and as a performer.  But this year, the cathedral couldn't be involved, as it clashed with the Synod Eucharist, so I had the day to myself.  I could go wherever I wanted and see whichever acts I wanted!  Oh the excitement. 

Well, it wasn't quite as free as that makes it out to be.  I had a hair appointment mid-morning.  And it was raining.  After the hair appointment I went into town, and after checking out all the options, I bought myself a coffee and sat down at the Queen St Mall stage.  Playing at midday was Bec Laughton and her band - they were great!  Very upbeat, and with lyrics that weren't the repetitive drivel you hear in many songs around these days.
I visited a friend who works in a store in town, then before heading home I also saw Hannah Rosa playing under an umbrella a little further down the mall.  Her music too was something to make you stop and listen, but totally different from the band.  Wintry music, just right for a rainy day.  No shelter for audience there though, so the pillars at the entrance to the Myer Centre were propping up several listeners.  I wasn't quick enough with my camera to catch a dad with a little girl of about 2 or 3, the girl leaning forward intent on listening.  This is just one of the things I love about this day. 
I did feel really sorry for everyone meant to be performing outside.  Even with shelter, it was rather chilly - Bec Laughton could see steam when she sang! 

No comments:

Post a Comment