If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 2 February 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Bread

I had a meeting today, for which we were asked to bring something to share.  I saw what others would be bringing, and dithered a bit.  Then yesterday, I thought I'd check out Teresa Cutter's Healthy Chef blog.  I drooled over the chocolate cupcakes (on the agenda for the next couple of days), then looked over her recipes, and came across this paleo pumpkin bread.  You can find her recipe here, or see below. 

Ingredients:
3 cups grated raw pumpkin (about half a butternut pumpkin)
4 whole free-range organic eggs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I estimated, of course)
pinch of nutmeg (generous, in this case)
1/4 cup (60mL) olive oil or macadamia nut oil or cold pressed coconut oil (I used olive oil)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons (gluten free, if necessary) baking powder
3 cups almond meal
pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on top, if desired

Method:
Preheat oven to 150-160C if fan forced, or 180C if not.  Grease and line a loaf tin.
Combine (in a very large bowl) pumpkin, eggs, salt, nutmeg, oil and honey.  Add nut meal and baking powder, and mix well.
Spoon mixture into prepared tin, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds if desired, and bake in the oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  Check at 1 hour - cooking time will vary according to your oven and size of loaf tin.
Leave in tin 1 hour before removing from tin.

Mine was ready at 1 hour, but I wasn't really convinced (despite 3 skewers all coming out clean), so I put it back in the oven (switched off). 
This is super easy, and although it doesn't look all that moist, it really is.  I can see this being made on a regular basis. 
Bonus - apart from all the healthiness, it's lactose free and (if you use gluten-free baking powder) gluten free.  Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment