If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 25 June 2012

The Practice Run

I've been having weird dreams lately.  I know the upcoming Gold Coast Half Marathon is the flattest course in Australia, but my subconscious is putting in stairs, buildings, wine and cheese tastings, and sand.  I also know that when I run my familiar route my brain is happier (that drinking fountain is just around this corner and along a bit so go for it - that sort of thing).  So I thought it would be a good idea to do a practice run of Sunday's track.  This term being what it was, though, meant that today was the first opportunity.  Viola Man came with me which made it a much more entertaining run than normal.

I have heard that it is not a good idea to do what I did, that it's better to run only about 3/4 of the distance before the event.  But I know my brain, and I know how it interacts with my body, so I have no regrets.  But I would like to hear from others on this matter - do you make sure you can run the distance beforehand?

My subconscious can now relax.  It really is quite a flat route.  21.1 km on this route was less strenuous than 18 km of my normal run.  Knowing that I am a slow runner meant I could run down the other side of the gentle rises, and the last 500 m felt more like running than it does at home.  Getting to the turnaround point was a tiny surprise.  I did have to walk a little on the return (sore knees) but the knees didn't bother me nearly as much as they would have normally.  That has been my biggest concern, as running along the river (including the hills between where I live and the river, and the lovely hill at the end of the Riverside precinct) results in the need to stretch every couple of kilometres once I've covered about 6.5.

The benefit of doing this practice run now is that they were beginning to set up everything for the weekend.  We could see the road closure signs dotted along the way, and there were marquees and barriers going up around the start point.  Which all means I could get this photo:

As you can see, the weather was fairly overcast.  The weather was coolish - so when we weren't running and the wind was blowing, it was a good reason to start moving again!  You might have to peer, but I promise this is the Gold Coast Airport Marathon sign.

We came back to Brisbane for a lunch of Mexican - great post-run food, except I ate about half my bodyweight.  Nevermind.  I also tried a different coconut water - this time it was Cocobella in pineapple flavour.  This was much more drinkable than the other sorts I've tried so far, but I'm not keen on added sugar.  I have something different to try tomorrow - I'm determined to find one that works!  (Still getting the occasional cramp though).

And now, I think, it's bath time.

No comments:

Post a Comment