If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 13 May 2012

The Kerbside Collection

Those who know me (and maybe some others who are a bit cluey about these things) may know I'm a bit of a hoarder.  Actually, thinking about that label, I object.  (Oh haha.. sorry for that).  I really do like a clean, uncluttered environment.  I'm just not good at throwing out stuff.  So my garage has a lot of stuff in it.  My attic has a lot of stuff in it.  My room... well, you get the idea.  My mum, however, is not a hoarder.  Every time we moved house when I was growing up, stuff would 'get lost in the move'.  (This is, I've discovered, a standard line for clergy families).  So, the state of my garage is a bit of a horror for her.  Whenever she's here and there's junk on the footpaths she'll get all excited.  "The council's doing a pickup!  You should clean out your garage!"  And, being a passive sort of person, I'd do absolutely nothing. 
On Friday though, I found a note from the council: kerbside collection this coming week for items left out this weekend.  I'm in that sort of 'doing stuff' mood.  My parents are coming to stay this week (is it that I can see the future?  will my mum really mention the kerbside collection again?).  I've also been getting rid of things given to me by people I no longer want to have hanging around.  Unfortunately the item I had pegged for collection from that particular person is on the x list from the council as it has glass... But there were several items in my garage that have been gathering dust for some time, unused by me, never actually owned by me in some cases, and I decided now was the time.  On the To Go list: vacuum cleaner (still works, power cord doesn't actually come out very far though, not great sucking power); old computer (never mine); a whole heap of cords; old dud of a modem; tv stand from when we were kids (so it's more than 20 years old...); and an old printer.

In the neighbouring few streets, there are several sofas and lounge suites.  It's like they're having a Sofa and Lounge Suite Big Day Out.  You can just see the next lot of sofas (and extras) in this photo.  Due to restrictions in size, there are a few items remaining in my garage - I'll call someone like Vinnies or the Red Cross soon.  I felt a little weird taking my unwanted items outside - I'm not surprised people do this during the dark hours.  Now, I know that some people do kerbside crawls - ooh that sounds wrong - looking for usable items.  As I was leaving for my run, there were 2 guys walking up the street and I heard one of them talking vacuum cleaners.  When I returned from my run, my pile was somewhat smaller.  I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment