If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Soul Bistro

This evening I had dinner at Soul Bistro, Milton.  There are four of us who used to get together and have coffee after church, or watch a movie and discuss it afterwards, or just have a meal together.  One of us is about to move away, so tonight we had a farewell dinner.  Miraculously, we were all available for the same evening at a reasonable time.

Soul Bistro was a great choice.  Good location, and nice enough without being pretentious.  Hard to find places like that around there!  Our wait staff were attentive and informative without being clingy, splitting the bill was no problem, and good food.

Normally, I'm one of those eaters who will have a main, preferably entree size, and maybe think about dessert, depending on what my stomach and other diners are saying.  Tonight, all of us looked at the menu, flipped on our waiter's prompting to the 3-course special, and decided to have the special.  I think this is a first for me.  There were 2 choices for entree and dessert, and 3 for main.

I chose the soup (soup of the day was spinach and broccoli, which had a nice parsley kick to it), fish - snapper I think with sweet potato mash, and the orange panna cotta with chocolate sauce for dessert.  I can quite proudly say that this was a good choice.

No dish was so big I felt I couldn't finish it, and although it was probably a bit more than the eating plan I follow would recommend, a one-off excess (and not by too much, anyway) is nothing to worry about.  Plus I had a very sweaty workout beforehand.

Although there was a tinge of sadness to this farewell - nothing will be the same, even though she's moving not really all that far away, and this friend has been a wonderful, life-changing force - it was such a good night.   So much laughter, some so much I could hardly breathe, I thought my mascara must surely be running down my face, and I was clutching my stomach - as well as real talking about the issues all of us face.
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely meal! Goodbyes are always hard but hopefully you guys can still keep in contact. With all of the modern technology these days, it's hard not to ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully she's only moving to the Sunshine Coast - we often do gigs up there, and there's a church hall begging for a concert... So we won't be out of contact at all, really!

      Delete