If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 16 March 2012

Not in Black

I mentioned in the last performance photo that I can't really deal with the idea of not performing in black.  Haha, that's really funny...

Tonight was the Global Music Fiesta, raising funds for CARE Australia.  As I was already going, when the quartet found they would be down a violin, they asked if I'd play.  Not a problem.  I assumed all black (the standard), but checked anyway, and heard 'black with a bit of colour'.  Easy.  But then I started to wonder, is that, like, black with a coloured top?  Or black with a coloured brooch?  How much colour is a 'bit' of colour?  Then, I get a message saying, let's not do black, let's do colourful so we look more festive.  Ummm...

This morning, I tried on every dress I own that is not a work dress, and not black.  I even tried on clothing that has languished in the ironing basket for a really long time.  None of these was suitable.  5 of them were red.  One made me look like a bridesmaid, another a pear, another like I should be at a summer brunch, another was a close contender but the front is just weird, and the other was way too short.  A blue dress made me look a few decades older, and a purple dress feels more like a work dress.  As I had to go into town anyway, I thought I'd check out the op shops, and if I had no success, I'd wear black.

My favourite op shop had nothing, the revamped store next to it didn't fill me with sartorial delight (despite 20% off), but the boutique - end of lease sale...  Because it's not an op shop but has really pretty dresses, I'd never actually set foot in this store (a bit too dangerous), but today was the day.  Oasis Boutique (in the arcade at 144 Adelaide St), 50% off or $20, depending on the rack, until the end of March.

This evening was rather humid, which is not ideal when not wearing black.  Once I was actually at the venue though, it was fine.  And it felt rather liberating to wear emerald green while playing Mozart and jazz (not at the same time...)

No comments:

Post a Comment