If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 11 February 2012

Movie #5

The Bank.  A 2001 Australian film starring David Wenham and Anthony LaPaglia.  I'm a fan of both those actors.  Yet... This movie had been sitting in my "I really should see this" pile for many months (the middle of last year, in fact).  I'd often pick it up, look at the cover, and then think ".... ummmm.... not really in the mood for this now".  But, with all this business of watching different movies, I was right in the zone. 

This is such a clever movie.  Two tragedies, 24 years apart, are the basis for the two plots which tie in so neatly that the ending is so incredibly satisfying.  It is quite sad, but also quite funny - I had one of those 'wake up the neighbourhood' laughs at what I consider the best bit (the dad's revenge).  Having the good guys win, and the bad guys get their comeuppance - really, how good is that?! 

It was very interesting to see this now, as opposed to when it was released.  The main plot is all about predicting market crashes.  Although made in 2001, it's set it October 2002.  Anyone watching it these days would know that yes, there was a big market crash - in September 2001.  Aside from that, though, there are so many issues still in the news today.  Shareholders, accountability of businesses, small business versus the banks, trust, full disclosure, foreign markets, morals, principles, ethics, underdogs - it felt very Australian, yet rather global too.

Visually and aurally this is also well done.  The camera work is noticeably good.  The shots of the Yarra, the lights from the bridge... My favourite visual part was a shot from above.  David Wenham's character is trying to decide if he's a good guy or a corporate player, and leaves the bank to have a walk and a think.  It's Melbourne, so it's just been raining, the ground is wet.  We see him walking over these repetitive pavers, and the reflection of the bank in the water on the ground follows him.  Aurally, the music is very well done, at least for the most part (a little bit of cliche ruined a moment for me).  I wasn't surprised to see at the end several big Australian music names.  As well as several big acting names, of course.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your movie reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Having to write something (especially something that will be public for the whole world) has changed the way I watch movies now so I'm glad you're enjoying reading :)

      Delete